Friday, March 24, 2017

A trip to Skogafoss Waterfall in Iceland


This is our final day in Iceland, so I hope you've enjoyed this imaginary trip.

Once again, I'm joining Yvonne at Meggy's Way, this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme of Out and About.

Although I created this two page spread over two days, I decided to show both at the same time.

Skogafoss Waterfall is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland.

One of the reasons it is so popular, is because it is readily accessible and quite photogenic.  I found a business card that reminded me of the falls

and also found a brad from K & Co. with a camera in it.

According to Iceland Aurora:
Skogafoss is one of the most popular waterfalls in Iceland and is in the top 5 largest in the country.
Further:
It is an impressive curtain of glacier melt water.  Skogafoss is unique because the waterfall comes directly from two glaciers.
Imagine my surprise when I found yet another view of Skogafoss Waterfall,

as well as another camera brad.  I had totally forgotten I bought two of these K & Co brad sets on clearance one year (several years ago, in fact).

Adding to Skogafoss Waterfall's allure is the high volume of water making it thunder and produce rainbow-yielding mist that often makes this falls a photographer's dream under sunny skies.

Iceland Aurora gives photo hints for those wishing to take impressive shots:
Skogafoss works well during the winter because it is south facing.  The sun hits the full face of the falls after 2PM, but the spray from the waterfall can catch the sunlight a few hours earlier.
Experiment with shutter speed. Try using a tripod and vary shutter speeds from 1/4 to 1/125. Your success will depend on the amount of available light.
Although it might be difficult to take your camera under and behind the falls, there are paths where you can see images like this one.  If you are adventurous, you can camp in the area below the falls, too.

For these two spreads, I began with two used file folders, one of which I dribbled some of my shimmering mist on for a background.

For the first side,  I allowed the image I found in a travel magazine to take center stage.  To that, I added washi tape, a business card, a brad, and computer generated text.

For the second side, I included an image from a travel magazine, a brad, and computer generated text.

Thanks for visiting this Island, and of course, Skogafoss Waterfall, because your visits mean so much to me.  And please visit Art Journal Journey where others are out and about, real or imagined, in their journals, too.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit. Beautiful background to the photos, too. Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

You have made the perfect background for these fabulous photos! It does look such a wonderful waterfall! Isn't it great to find that something you have had for ages is just the thing you need!Hugs, Chrisx

froebelsternchen said...

What an amazing background to that photo and an adorable pretty badge!
Happy Friday Elizabeth! Thank you for another lovely entry - your iceland pages are so beautiful!

My name is Erika. said...

I visited these falls. They are right near each other. There are so many waterfalls in Iceland- and they are just amazing. I'm glad you decided to make a page about them. I did bring my camera behind the falls-its more misty there and my camera could be easily wiped dry. Quite a thrill! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and have some nice weather-haven't checked the national forecast this week but I am guessing it is better than ours. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Love those brads. The background really complements the waterfall pictures. The photographs have such a wow factor can only imagine what it must be like to actually visit the falls. When I was 7yrs old, my family visited Niagra Falls. I wanted to go on the Maid of the Mist, the boat that takes you under and behind the falls. Ma was afraid of the water so we didn't go, but watched the boat from above.

Sami said...

I had never heard of that waterfall but it's fantastic!
I like your background and the 2 buttons with the camera, so cute!
Have a great weekend Elizabeth.

Meggymay said...

Love the backgrounds you created for todays awesome outing. The waterfall sure has the WOW factor for me. what a size and I noticed the tiny silhouette figure standing at the bottom on one of the pictures another wow.
I am so pleased you took us with you, on your to Iceland.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, the waterfalls are spectacular and you have created wonderful backgrounds especially the one that looks like water droplets spraying across the page - beautiful! Wishing you a great weekend! J :-)

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't consider myself particularly adventurous, but if I were given a chance camping at those falls would be too good to pass up. Wow!

Rita said...

I cannot pronounce anything from Iceland--LOL! But this looks beautiful. :)

Jeanie said...

I know you told me Iceland wasn't in your travel plans but I think Erika's trip inspired you well! Very nice series of pages!

I'm so glad you liked the Easter banner. Wasn't the crepe paper the best? I hope I can find more!

Cindy McMath said...

That background with the blue wash is perfect for the waterfall theme. Having seen Niagra Falls a few years ago I can almost imagine I'm there. And that gorgeous blue water... Lovely.