Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Nature inspired


If you are looking for the link to T Stands For Tuesday, it is the post directly below this one. 

The T post has been interrupted because I am honored to be the guest designer for this fortnightly challenge at Try It on Tuesday, or TioT.

The latest challenge is Nature Inspired and is right up my ally.

I consider this a genuine honor.  Let's look at the details of my completed Nature Inspired project.

I began by cutting a bird

from a dictionary page with the definition of the word "bird" as part of the image.

I used three different colors of blue to create the background sky on a hard-back book cover.

My friend Chris, who is also a member of the Try it on Tuesday design team, gifted me with all the stamps I used in this project.

I stamped each butterfly twice, using different ink each time.

It took three days to create the nest.

I used various threads, yarns, and wrappers from HUGS chocolates

and built it up layer by layer.

I added the branch (found in my yard) so the nest would have something to sit on.

A butterfly decided to land on the limb, too.


Here's another shot of the nest, showing the fibers and yarns I used.

I had some rusty paper that I cut leaves from.  I also stamped three butterflies on the rusty paper and folded one in half to sit on the branch.
 I was really out of my comfort zone when I stamped the words on the background.

But I was extremely happy with the way the butterflies turned out.


Here is my nature inspired bird in a spring nest sitting on my easel.

I'd like to once again thank the DT at Try It on Tuesday for inviting me to be their guest designer for the next two weeks.  And I want to thank everyone for your visit and continued support of my art.  Now, please join me at Try It on Tuesday with your nature inspired art any time in the next two weeks.

29 thoughtful remarks:

Meggymay said...

Thank you for being our Guest Designer this time at TioT's, Elizabeth. Your project is inspirational . Wonderful ideas and the nest looks amazing. Loved all the photos of how you made this fabulous mixed media piece.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

So happy to see you here as our Guest Designer! This is a wonderful Nature project, a great combination of all the best colours Nature has to show us and your bird has been clever enough to pick some of them for her fabulous nest! Great to see that the butterfly stamps were part of this too! I don't know how long birds take to build a nest but I think you did well to make this one in three days! I watched a magpie carrying long grasses to nest somewhere out of sight over the weekend. Off to join the tea party now! Hugs, Chrisx

Marjut said...

Wow, great idea, I love this :)

Barb said...

Hi Elizabeth and first many congratulations on you Guest Design Team spot. I was drawn straight over to your blog to see this wonderful project.

It's absolutely beautiful. Our neighbour has some pet sheep and she puts pieces of wool on the fence between us for the nesting birds to take. I absolutely love the nest you've made and can imagine your lovely bird collecting all the bits and pieces to make it.

I really enjoyed the pictorial tutorial. It looks as if you had lots of fun making this and it's an absolutely delightful piece of work. Barbxx

Linda Kunsman said...

A gorgeous project and theme Elizabeth-you make a super host!

Nan G said...

Congrats on the GDT! Fabulous piece Elizabeth! Love the bird and her nest and your stamping was awesome! Hugs from me and the Girls to you and the Boys :)

Darla said...

Congrats of being a guest designer, they couldn't have chosen anyone more creative. I really like this piece, the nest on the branch is amazing.

I admit I was a bit confused about where all by Tuesday Tea friends were hiding when I arrived here but I found them.

voodoo vixen said...

Congratulations on your guest designer spot! Love what you have done with those fabulous fibers and the lovely stamps of the butterflies, a very special piece of art.

zandra said...

Thanks for being our guest designer this month. I love your birds nest and the piece is so pretty.
Hugz, Z

chrissie said...

Wonderful and inspiring work of art. So pleased to have you as our guest designer this time at TIOT

Love Chrissie xx

My name is Erika. said...

Congrats to be the designer. It is exciting. And I love your bird in her nest- that nest is fantastic! Like a real nest with all the bits and bobs that birds pick up and use. I'll be by with some art soon. Hugs again-Erika

Caterina Giglio said...

So... I arrive for T and get not one, but two posts, how lovely is that? How wonderful to be a guest designer! congratulations!

Lula said...

Love your take on the theme! So good to have you as GD over at Try it on Tuesday!Hugs!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic project, glad to have you with us at TIOT this time, hugs, Valerie

Ariel said...

Your Nature inspired art piece looks awesome. I liked each a n d every element that you have added to it, especially the twig and the leaves.

Dianne said...

so colorful and definitely Spring! love the nest...kind of looks like my sewing basket sometimes...lol! seriously love the 3D elements!

froebelsternchen said...

That is such a beautiful piece ELizabeth! Great to have you as a guest designer at TioT's!

Wishing a belated T-Day as well - I was busy the whole day out and about.
oxo
Susi

Margik said...

Hi Elizabeth! This project is totally fabulous. Love the bird nest and the beautiful colors you've used. Thank you for being our Guest Designer for this challenge.
Hugs, Mar

sheila 77 said...

Oh gosh, Elizabeth, what a fantastic process post even by your excellent standards.
I was fascinated by how you made the nest, including wrappers from HUGS chocolates, a perfect nest for an arty bird, a bird which has his own definition written on him, what other bird has that. Add to it butterflies in different colours, a branch and rusty leaves, all to complete something that is unique in bird artland.
Thanks for all the photos too, it's a top class blogpost.

Anonymous said...

My kind of nest, love all the thread layering. Beautiful. xox

kaybee said...

Hi Elizabeth - thought I would check out what other stuff you get up to, apart from the Craft Barn challenge! Love everything about this, the colours, textures, composition - stunning!

SCarol said...

What a wonderful project. The nest is truly amazing, full of lovely textures and just makes me want to touch it!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Congratulations on being the Guest Designer for TIOT! I LOVE your nesting bird scene, especially the clever way in which you made the texture-rich nest. Blessings, my friend!

Halle said...

I love the nest you created for this piece. Your creation is fab!!

Mrs.B said...

HI Elizabeth, such a fabulous page and the next is amazing and looks so comfy for your little bird.
Lovely to have you join us at our Guest Designer for this challenge.
Hugs, Avril x

Unknown said...

Your nest is just so sweet, that's such a wonderful idea!!!
xoxo
Michelle

Jeanie said...

Fabulous. Just fabulous. And how I love that nest! It's also a reminder to stick some yarn strings in my suet feeder so the birds can borrow them to spruce up their spring homes!

Carol said...

Wonderful piece and congrats on being selected as guest host.

~*~Patty S said...

Congrats on being guest designer E!
What a wonderful nest resting on the perfect branch.
A lovely spot for your fine red bird!
oxo