Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Celebrating my new ironing board

Now who in their right mind dances with joy over an ironing board?  Well me, of course.  The back story is I used to have one of these tiny desktop ironing boards, but my friend Joseph (see my right sidebar) took it with him to California when he moved there several years ago.  I asked him why he took it.  He patiently said it was because he ironed his shirts and I didn't iron ANYTHING.  Before I started sewing and dyeing my fabric, that would have been true, but now I needed something better than a towel and craft sheet laid on my kitchen table.


So last week, when my friend Sally and I went to the strip mall for lunch, she wanted to shop in a few of the stores in that mall.  As we were passing the Dollar General, a store I typically never go into, I saw this sitting in the window with the word "Clearance" above it.

Sally and I stopped in after she had looked in all the shops she wanted to visit, and I purchased this for me.  Now it is all mine and NO ONE else gets it (grin)!!

As you can see, I paid $2.00 US dollars for it and I can't be happier.  Not only will I use it as an ironing board to iron my hand dyed fabric, I will also add two layers of felt in about the same size for when I want to stamp fabric.  I've been unable to stamp my hand dyed fabric successfully in the past because I needed a cushion.  I learned this when I read an article in Cloth, Paper, Scissors and have looked for a cushion ever since then.  I'm thrilled beyond belief.

I am once again having problems with my computer and my blog, but I know just the person to call.  In fact, he's not working through the end of the month, so he'll be by soon, I'm sure.  And of course, if you are a frequent reader of my blog, you know who I'm calling (and it's NOT Bleubeard)!

By the way, this is a scheduled post, because I have to make my friend Sally a birthday gift today, since her birthday is tomorrow, March 28.  Nothing like letting the end of the month slip up on me.


11 thoughtful remarks:

Connie said...

I picked one of these up at the Good-Will still wrapped in it's original plastic wrap from the store. I felt quite happy and I love it. So, much nicer than having to drag out the big ironing board when what I mostly iron is transfers and seams when sewing. Enjoy your new treasure, every crafter and seamstress should have one :)
Happy Easter.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Dianne said...

hey, congrats on the great deal! I love finding bargains...

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to get something so simple yet so functional at such a bargain. Wish Sally Happy Birthday. We feel we know her from all your blog posts of your travels....xox

voodoo vixen said...

Well you lucky duck!! I paid the equivalent of $30 for one of those for my son to use in his apartment!! I love the description of the conversation as to why your previous one 'disappeared'... have to admit ironing clothes is one of my less favourite passtimes and can still recall Chris' expression when I ooohed andaaahed over a teeny little iron that I wanted to iron scrapping stuff!!

~*~Patty S said...

Totally understand your glee E!
I have one of those that I've had since forever...they work so well and are very portable ... what a deal you got!

Hope you get yourself fixed up in blogland...you know we miss you when you go missing!
oxo

Craftymoose Crafts said...

That has to be one of the best buys ever! I hope your friend gets your computer re-sorted out!

SandeeNC said...

I hope Sally has a great birthday and that you'll get to share what you made for her! Great price for that ironing board, I love that size! Perfect for the craft room!! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

Darla said...

Great deal for a handy dandy addition to your craft room.

Darla

Halle said...

Two bucks is a steal! I have a table top version...I got rid of my big one and have some regrets about that. Storing it was the issue.

Divers and Sundry said...

"who in their right mind dances with joy over an ironing board? Well me, of course."

ah, the simple pleasures are the best!

Ohhh Snap said...

Lovely ironing board, I may have to make a trip to the local Dollar General to see if they have any.